It is my favorite time of year and it is almost here! Summer is a critical part in the success of every high school student.
Summer offers a much needed break from the academic stress as well as a break in the routine. Summer is an excellent time to take a deep breath, relax and regain some sense of balance after the rigor of final exams has passed.
I encourage teens to be proactive about how they will spend their summer. Scheduling in hours each week to relax and rejuvenate is very important. In addition to having fun, I encourage students to find a way to get involved in something that interests them.
Here are just a few ideas to consider:
- Find a place to volunteer
- Shadow a professional in a career that interests you
- Find an internship
- Get a job
- Volunteer at a company who will help sharpen your skills
- Work on your college applications and essays
- Attend Summer college admissions workshops
- Set goals for yourself and get a plan to meet them
- Learn a new skill that you've always wanted to learn
- Spend some time learning about the college admissions process and researching schools