The Increasing Price of College Tuition
Read the full article here:
I had the opportunity to visit the beautiful state of California this week and can certainly understand the desire to attend USC or UCLA or Pepperdine or one of the many other wonderful choices in California. These schools have much to offer academically as well as many other perks that come with living in sunny California.
A few of the obstacles that could prevent a student from these schools are the difficulty to get accepted and even more so, the cost. These schools are expensive. While each student must make their own trade offs and each student's financial situation is different, I encourage students to look for alternative ways of paying for school in lieu of significant student debt.
Here are some ideas to consider:
1. Scholarships - Look far and wide and look daily. The more you apply for, the more you will receive. I get inquiries daily from students looking for scholarships. They are out there but I agree it takes a significant amount of effort to pay for school solely through scholarships.
2. Work / Study programs - If you qualify then work / study programs can be a wonderful opportunity. Learn more here:
3. Old fashioned Work - You may have to take fewer classes each semester and work your way through college. There is no shame in this. In fact, it is a very respectable thing to do and you have the opportunity to finish school with no debt, extensive work experience, a good resume and a lot of freedom. Financial freedom.
4. Take advantage of working for a company who has a plan to help students pay for college
Starbucks is one of many companies who offer a program to help students pay for their education.
5. Attend a local Community College for your basic classes and then transfer to a larger more expensive school to finish your education.
If you desire an education, you can find a way to make it happen. The road may be longer for some than others, but it will be worth it in the end.
We are here to help with scholarship advice as well as advising you on school and major choices, essays, applications and much more. Contact us today at www.imaginecollegecoaching.com